What to bring for a mountain biking trip in Peru ?
21 November 2022
Peru mountain bike trails are featured by being very long and high, most of them start over 4000 meters above sea level; the climate and temperature are very changeable and unpredictable.
Most of the trails we will pass through are ancestral paths, used from Inca times to the present day, for communication and trade between local villages.
The rides are featured by many rock gardens, exposed parts, vertical and many switchbacks. Most of them are technical.
"In Peru there are no trail builders, Pachamama (mother earth) is the one who constantly modifies the trails".
For this reason it is important to come prepared with everything you need to enjoy multiple days of mountain biking in all types of terrain and weathers.
What equipment to bring ?
- Backpack and water bag of 2 liters or more.
- UV sunglasses
- MTB shoes
- Rain jacket waterproof
- Enduro shorts / MTB pants
- MTB jersey (long sleeve)
- Spare clothes after rides (keep in the shuttle)
- ID personal o passport copy
- Medical insurance document.
- Sunblock or Sunscreen - Factor 70 or more +
- Knee pads
- Elbow Pads
- Full face helmet or convertible enduro or DH helmet.
- Portable external charger.
- Cell phone and/or camera
- Go pro (optional)
- Windbreaker / buff
What bike spares parts to bring?
Peru's trails can be wilder than you think. That is why we recommend that you bring the following bike spare parts:
- 1 extra rear derailleur
- 1 spare tube
- 1 spare tire
- 2 pairs of brake pads
- Chain link (missing link)
- Chain oil
- Spare spokes - Spokes - Spare Spokes
- Small bottles of sealant
- Derailleur hanger
- Multi Tool
- Air pump / inflator
- Bacon strips / dowels / Tubeless repair kit
DO NOT BRING CO2 CARTRIDGES, they are forbidden by the airlines, dangerous and above all polluting. It is better to use a HAND AIR PUMP.
Not necessary, but recommended:
- Personal medical kit
- Microfiber towel
- Water pants
Should I bring my own bike ?
Yes, for our long mountain bike tours and expeditions, you must bring your own bike. In case it is impossible for you to bring your own bike, Peru Biking can rent you a bike.
Which bike do I bring ?
You must bring an ENDURO bike with:
- Minimum 150 mm of suspension length / Full suspension.
- Reinforced Downhill tires 2.30" wide minimum.
- 27.5 or 29" rim
- Dropper post or hydraulic seat.
- Tubeless / liquid sealant mandatory.
- 4-piston hydraulic brakes.
How do I bring it ?
Traveling with a mountain bike on an airplane is easier than you might think. You can compare several airlines and look at different pricing options and regulations.
You can find bike carrying cases from brands such as EVOC or THULE; however, you can also put your bike in a box (the boxes that bikes come in from the factory), which you can find at any bike store.
Before putting your bike in the case:
- Don't forget to lower the tire pressure a little.
- Lock the brake pistons so that hydraulic oil does not leak out.
- It is not necessary to lower the pressure of fork and shock.
- Protect the derailleur and chain from any shocks.
- Check that nothing bumps or scratches the bicycle before closing the case.